Everyone wants to leave a positive impact on the world, and creating desired results is a great way to achieve this. The way we interact with others, our choices and the actions we take all play a crucial role in the type of results our efforts engender.
Here are some steps you can take to get the results you want:
Define your goals and objectives: The first step to achieving superior results is deciding what success will look like for you:
- Do you want to make a meaningful contribution to your community, industry or the world at large?
- Do you want to create a successful business or organization or make a significant change to an existing one?
- How will you know you have succeeded?
Whatever your goals, it’s important to have a clear vision to help you stay focused, motivated and accountable. A life coach, who counsels and encourages clients through personal or career challenges, can help.
Develop a game plan: Once you have defined your goals, the next step is to develop a plan to achieve them. This plan should be comprehensive, but easy-to-follow and adaptable. Ensure your plan is SMART — Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound.
Set specific milestones or targets, track your progress and make the necessary adjustments as you go along.
Cultivate positive habits: Successful people often have rigorous habits that keep them focused, productive and effective. Habits like
- waking up early,
- exercising regularly,
- reading books,
- practicing meditation,
- eating well and
- managing stress
can help you stay sharp, strengthen your emotional and intellectual abilities, and help you tackle life’s challenges head-on.
Practice resilience: Life is never easy, and there will undoubtedly be times you hit a rough patch. Don’t let these situations discourage you; instead, use them to motivate you to keep pushing forward. Successful people accept that challenges are a natural part of the process, but never give up. The habits listed above can help build the foundation for resilience.
Resilient people are more likely to:
- address the demands of their work and personal lives with a “can-do” attitude,
- take action when faced with challenges, problems and setbacks,
- seek support and assistance when they need it,
- know when to stop, rest and replenish their minds and bodies,
- have a sense of independence, self-efficacy and self-worth and
- form and nurture positive, mutually-respectful relationships.
Resilience is not a fixed state. You may be more resilient at some times than others. Most importantly, resilience can be learned, practiced, developed and strengthened.
Learn from others: Successful people surround themselves with similar individuals and learn from them. Find mentors, read books, attend workshops and continuously hone your skills to remain relevant and knowledgeable in your industry.
Give back: Life is a team sport, and no one becomes successful on their own entirely. As you journey on the road to success, lend a helping hand to others. Giving back and helping others succeed is one of the most effective ways to create a positive impact on the world.
Here are just a few ideas:
- Shop local and support small businesses.
- Support local farmers.
- Run for office or work the polls.
- Pick up litter in your community.
- Share good news.
- Volunteer at your church or with a community organization like a food bank or animal shelter.
- Mentor a young person in your field.
Achieving superior results takes time, effort and dedication, but it’s not impossible. It’s essential to always remember success is a journey, not a destination.
By following these steps and dedicating yourself to your goals, you can positively impact others and achieve success beyond your wildest dreams.
Schedule time to talk at: